What Is the Best Air Filter For Controlling Dust In Your Home?

Every homeowner who has ever spent time sweeping, mopping, and dusting has wondered how to eliminate dust from building up. It streaks surfaces, causes allergies, and generally makes you feel like your home isn’t clean. If you want to know how to remove dust from home, it can be as simple as choosing the right HVAC filter. But before we get into the types of filters, let’s talk about why it is so hard to eliminate.

What Is Dust, Really?

Dust is a composite of many things. It comprises microscopic pieces of pet dander, mold spores, hair, skin, dust mite waste, food crumbs, pollen, and soil. Dust is insidious, settling on fabrics, flooring, hard surfaces, and electronics, and recirculated by your HVAC system if there isn’t a good filter to catch it and stop the cycle.

There are multiple causes of dust, and it is no surprise that 60% of dust comes from outside. That leaves 40% generated inside the home. This can vary depending on the personal habits of the occupants, frequency of cleaning, smoking, cooking, and the age of the home. 

How To Use MERV Ratings To Pick an Air Filter

While annoying to all, dust can also be toxic to many people. It can cause a variety of allergic reactions, such as:

  • Cough
  • Itchy throat
  • Nasal congestion
  • Runny nose
  • Sneezing
  • Watery eyes

Choosing the right HVAC filter not only keeps your home cleaner but protects your health. Getting the most effective one isn’t just a matter of finding a brand name or choosing a more expensive filter. You need to select one that is effective in trapping both large and small dust particles. The way to ensure that is to look at the MERV rating.

The Minimum Efficiency Reporting Values (MERV) rating indicates how efficiently the filter can filter and trap small particles. The scale goes from 1 to 20. The higher the MERV rating, the more effectively it filters small particulates. The smaller the rating, the more appropriate for filtering larger particles.

So, the answer is to get the highest MERV-rated filter, right? No, it’s not that simple. While a MERV 17-20 will catch a lot of dust, they are designed for cleanroom applications with commercial HVAC systems that can handle high filtration. A MERV 11-13 is the perfect balance of dust filtration, airflow, and affordability for home HVAC systems.

How You Can Get the Right Filters Delivered Directly to Your Home

Crockett Filter Club makes it easy to choose the right filter. There is no more standing in big box stores, looking at endless aisles of filters, then wrestling them home. We make it simple to choose the right MERV rating for your home:

  • Follow the easy-to-understand infographic and descriptions to pick your ideal MERV-rated filter.
  • Schedule how often you want them delivered.
  • Choose how many you want in each delivery
  • Select the sizes
  • Put them in your cart and checkout

And just like that, your perfect air filter is on its way to you. No hassle, no realizing you forgot to pick up replacement filters only to get there and forget which sizes you need. Get started purifying and simplifying your life today.